Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Godzilla At The Door

Godzilla At The Door

I heard him coming, far off in the jungle, his throaty expulsions resonating through the night like a ten-pound rubber mallet on a tin shed roof; 'Bam Bam. Bam Bam Bam. '

'Bam Bam. Bam Bam Bam.'

As the sound drew closer, his voice became more distinct among all the other pitches and rhythyms of the night jungle until all became silent and his alone was the only sound. Bam Bam. Bam Bam Bam.

The stories I'd heard of giant lizards only heightened my wonder of how such a sound could be produced in such volume and such rapid succession, and also, slight concern of the creature's size as the sound grew still closer. It sounded like he was just on the other ssside of the pppond. BAM BAM. BAM BAM BAM!

I thought maybe he had emerged from the jungle to get a drink, until I heard him coming around the pond, drawing nearer to our bungalow. Between his vocalizations, I could hear his crashing through the jungle brush, and the crush of branches under his footsteps. I deeply regretted standing out on the porch the other night, loudly imitating his call. 'Bam Bam.' Pause. 'Bam Bam Bam.'

"That's pretty good," Digger had said at the time. "Sounds almost just like him."

Now, here it was, up on our deck, and I wondered if those kind were meat eaters, or if he merely wanted the Pringles. I was afraid to sneak a peek out the window, much less to unlatch the door for a token offering. We could smell him.

"Give it something!" said Digger. "Give it something! He knows we're in here."


- end